Suzuki Garphyttan announces layoffs in Sweden
August 26, 2019
Pressrelease August 26, 2019
Today, after negotiations with the trade unions, Suzuki Garphyttan regret to announce that 99 employees will be laid off. This is due to the current strained economic situation where cost savings are necessary to secure the survival of the business in Garphyttan. The reduction affects our operations in Sweden, both white and blue collar employees.
- This is a very sad and heavy decision, says Ad Raatgeep, CEO at Suzuki Garphyttan. We would have preferred the situation to have been different. We need to act now to continue our mission and to secure Suzuki Garphyttan’s future. We will do everything we can to support our staff throughout the process, in cooperation with trade unions, Trygghetsrådet (TRR) and our occupational health services.
It is mainly external factors that now affect the economy of Suzuki Garphyttan in a negative way.
- It is the trade war between the US and China, steel tariffs, the WLTP rules (new regulations for new cars in Europe since 1 September 2018) and the increased competition in the marketplace that mainly affects our economy negatively, continues Ad Raatgeep. We have been actively working on reducing our costs and increasing our revenues, but unfortunately these efforts have not been sufficient. The measures we are now taking are necessary in order to achieve our goals whilst also making us better equipped, says Ad Raatgeep. The reductions should not affect our customers. We continue to work purposefully to be able to have an efficient business with satisfied customers and to be an attractive place to work, concludes Ad Raatgeep.
- Suzuki Garphyttan is a global player with operations in Sweden, China, Mexico, the US and the UK.
- Suzuki Garphyttan develops, manufactures and sells advanced spring wire for applications in the automotive industry.
- Suzuki Garphyttan has been manufacturing advanced spring wire for over 100 years, since the year of 1906.
- Suzuki Garphyttan currently has over 600 employees globally, of which about 380 employees work at the plant in Sweden.
- The lay-off will affect 99 employees (white- and blue collars) at Suzuki Garphyttan in Sweden.
- Redundancies will begin once the new organization and staffing are established. Terminations will not begin prior to the four-month notice period.
Contact Ad Raatgeep, CEO, 070-143 45 17, ad.raatgeep (at) sg-wire.com
Maria Karlsson, CCO, 070-645 14 14, maria.karlsson (at) sg-wire.com